• About Us
  • Home
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Shaka Momodu
  • Right Of Reply
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • OpEds
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Right Of Reply
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • OpEds
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Shaka Momodu
Home News

NLC Condemns Military Deployment Against Oil Workers, Demands Government Intervention

by News Reporters
2 years ago
in News
0 0
0
NLC Criticizes Federal Executive Council and Governors Over Minimum Wage Deliberations
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has condemned the recent military deployment used to displace Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) members from their worksite at the Oritsetimeyin oil rig. In a statement signed by NLC President Joe Ajaero, the Congress expressed strong solidarity with NUPENG, describing the incident as a troubling assault on workers’ rights and industrial democracy.

“This concerning action, reportedly driven by corporate interests, is a direct affront to democratic principles and the respect owed to negotiated labor agreements,” Ajaero stated. He emphasized that the use of military force on the rig compromises the integrity of Nigeria’s workplaces, saying, “We cannot accept the militarization of our workplaces. Such actions are counterproductive and threaten to destabilize an already fragile economy.”

The NLC highlighted that the affected workers were allegedly evicted after pressing for the fulfillment of agreements, including severance benefits, that had been established in negotiations facilitated by the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) and attended by the Department of State Services (DSS). Despite these binding agreements, companies involved, including Dutchford E&P and Selective Marine Services, reportedly chose coercion over compliance.

Calling for urgent action, the NLC appealed to the Nigerian Military, National Security Adviser (NSA), DSS, and the federal government to protect NUPENG workers and prevent further intimidation or displacement. “These agreements must be honored, and the dignity of Nigerian workers respected,” the statement concluded.

Previous Post

CBN Governor Targets $1 Billion Monthly in Foreign Remittances Amid Economic Reform Milestones

Next Post

TCN Warns of Ongoing Power Instability Amid Urgent Grid Repairs Following Recent Collapse

Next Post
Uninterrupted Power: FG Moves to Tackle Inadequate Gas Supply to Power Plants

TCN Warns of Ongoing Power Instability Amid Urgent Grid Repairs Following Recent Collapse

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RSS Some News Around

  • Chelsea Confirm Name Change Ahead of New Season
  • JUST IN: US Court Gives Attorney, Pirro Ultimatum to Release ‘Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records’
  • Osun Election: We Collaborated with Accord to Stop APC, ADC Claims
  • Plateau Assembly Raises Alarm over Fresh Mangu Attacks
  • Osun: President Tinubu Should be Commended for Fair Election Says Wike
  • I was Once Broke Despite Having Rich Parents, Says Davido
  • Syria Sentences Bashar al-Assad’s Cousin to Death
  • Ogogo: Femi Adebayo Seeks Urgent Medical Help for Taiwo Hassan
  • Osun: ‘We Respect INEC’s Position’, Oyebamiji Speaks after Defeat
  • IGP Disu Issues Warning against Jungle Justice 
  • About Us
  • Home

© 2022 THIS REPUBLIC By Shaka Momodu

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Right Of Reply
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • OpEds
  • Sports

© 2022 THIS REPUBLIC By Shaka Momodu

Go to mobile version